Saturday, January 7, 2017

WHEW...

The biggest part of the new label system-- publishers, titles, and artists (I include inkers and some scripters in there; there is a fair bit of overlap) is done. After some resting time, I intend to start refining things... for one, the cloud for artists and titles are very large and I may have it not show artists and titles for which there are few articles. The labels will still be in the system, and if more articles are tagged with them, they can be added back to the cloud.

A more complicated labeling job will be adding common motifs/tropes, mostly because some categories do overlap and I'll have to decide if they warrant being grouped under one label or split apart. But there will be time for that later.

Enjoy! And if you see any mistakes, please let me know...



... POLITELY!!
... oh, pardon me. I forget myself.

5 comments:

Mr. Karswell said...

An amazing job, Nequam!! Couldn't have done it without ya!

ALL HAIL NEQUAM!!! :)

Mr. Cavin said...

That's a lotta work, man. I'll be interested to see how you go about deciding how to keyword the tropes and motifs and stuff. Most people mire down in descriptive but subjective particulars (which can be pretty instructive for people who are browsing the cloud itself), but it's my experience that having fewer tags (or whatever Blogger calls 'em) may well work better than having more of them. But there is just so much ground to cover. You are definitely doing a hero's work.

And may I suggest a whole new category for publication dates? I think one of the most interesting avenues for scholarship here is the possibility of correlating thematic evolution across the industry as a whole.

Brian Barnes said...

I think for every Eerie pub story there should be an "impossible clothes" category for all the clothes that become ripped and torn but always manage to defy physics and hang on at just the right places ...

Yes, I had nothing real to add, accept yup, you get a ALL HAIL from me!

Nequam said...

Thank you all. I am gradually adding tropes and motifs, and finding that yes, some of them can be split off (ghost pirates and ships seem to be their own thing). Also, whatever one may think of TVTropes, they sometimes come up with a particularly fine turn of phrase that I will happily appropriate...

Nequam said...

Mr. Cavin: Publication dates might be a bit more finicky even than tropes and motifs, depending on how precise one wants to get (decade? year? year and month?)...